- The state was named after a Southern Native American tribe. It was called Alibamu or Alibamo, according to scholars.
- The state has not designated the official nickname. The most familiar nicknames for Alabama are the Yellowhammer state, the Heart of Dixie, and the Cotton state, but they’re not official.
- The state once had wooden roads.
- A skeleton of a prehistoric man was found in Russel cave, Alabama.
- Huntsville, Alabama, is known as the rocket capital of the world.
- The state was the first place to celebrate Mardi Gras.
- The state’s official insect is the Monarch butterfly.
Test your knowledge of the world now!Play now